I really hate it when it rains. It's not that I do not appreciate how most living things benefit from it. It's not that I'm not grateful that it cools up the humid surrounding. It's just that the ominous effect of the rain washes away the warmth of joy deep within me.
I don't know, but those drops of water that quenches the thirsty earth and all the inhabitants of it are somewhat like the tears that falls from my eyes whenever I get disappointed. It’s the same water that paralyzes me, the same water that refrain me from going out and see the world.
When it rains, I need a shield so I will not get wet and worst not to get sick. It's so hard to walk because the roads are slippery and I need to be careful so that I might not slide and get myself injured. What's with the rain? Well, too much rain causes flood, and just like the too much emotions in me, it might drown me to the death of my soul. I hate this season so much that I became blind of what it depicts in my life.
I always love the cheerful summer, the freedom to play out in the fields, running to the woods and swimming in the refreshing waters. I love and enjoy the summer so much that I don't want to rain anymore. . . Summer in my life represents the happiest moments, the delightful days and the joyful memories that I have. Rainy days, well, are the tearful moments, miserable days and poignant memories of my life.
Lately I just realized that the rain has nothing to do with my ups and downs. I’m just trying to blame it for the sentiments that I have. The truth is when it rains, we are actually given the chance to sit back and relax, to stay at home and drink a delicious hot chocolate or coffee with a tasty porridge to eat with, while reading a really good book. During this moment, our home becomes warm and comfortable to stay with. The same thing goes on with our life, my life in particular. . . Those times I called "rainy days" are the days I found myself at home with God. Rainy days, are the days I found myself at ease under the tenderness of God's grace and protected in the safeguard of His mercy. Despite the "rain" I found myself being taken care of under God's roof of peace where my mind is steadfast in reverence to my Father.
Isaiah 26:3
New International Version (NIV)
3 You will keep in perfect peace
those whose minds are steadfast,
because they trust in you.
those whose minds are steadfast,
because they trust in you.
Or
1 You, God, are my God,
28 Do you not know?
28 Have you never heard?
Isaiah 26:3
New Living Translation (NLT)
3 You will keep in perfect peace
all who trusts in you,
all whose thoughts are fixed on you!
all who trusts in you,
all whose thoughts are fixed on you!
Rainy days in my life are the times when I feel the thirst that seems so unquenchable in me, becomes incredibly quenchable with God.
Psalm 63:1
New International Version (NIV)
Psalm 63[a]
A psalm of David. When he was in the Desert of Judah.
1 You, God, are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
I thirst for you,
my whole being longs for you,
in a dry and parched land
where there is no water.
When it "rains" in my life, it seems like I’m a dry and parched land that was suddenly watered down. Drenched with God’s everlasting love, he enables me to transfer the element of life to the roots of the plants within my surrounding. The "plants" here are actually the people within my reach. I can’t thoroughly explain it, but during the "rainy season" God amazingly uses my "weak" or "helpless" situation by helping me refresh others and influence effectively and positively. When I’m too weak and I feel like I just can’t get up and move, that's the point where the strength of God fills me up.
Psalm 63:6-8
New Living Translation (NLT)
6 I lie awake thinking of you,
meditating on you through the night.
7 Because you are my helper,
I sing for joy in the shadow of your wings.
8 I cling to you;
your strong right hand holds me securely.
meditating on you through the night.
7 Because you are my helper,
I sing for joy in the shadow of your wings.
8 I cling to you;
your strong right hand holds me securely.
We must not forget people that when it rains and it is too much heavy, it is always accompanied by thunder and lightning. I admit that when I was a child and even until now, I really fear the thunder and lightning. Why I fear the thunder? Well, the loud and abrupt sound is always and almost gives me a heart attack. My ears are so sensitive to sound that the thunder gives me a nerve crack. Why I fear the lightning? I think and I feel like my body has lesser electricity or current resistance than any other person I know. With that I think I can easily attract lightning and it will immediately struck and burn me to death. I know it’s a fallacy but somehow it affects me.
Again, talking about the "rainy days". . . hmmm . . . the thunder and lightning for me represents the voice of God. Is God too harsh on me that I compared his voice to the thunder and lightning? No. This is just how I perceive God's discipline in my life. I don’t know with you folks, but that's the way with me. Sometimes, err, most of the time I think, when I become complacent and had enjoyed too much all the privileges that God had given me, and it made me forget all about him, God interferes and rebuke me with love. Just like the thunder, his voice was loud and clear. Just like the lightning, it burns me to repentance and humility whenever it strikes me and the sharpness cuts deeply into my soul. . .
Hebrews 12:7
New International Version (NIV)
7 Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father?
Having said all this, I realized that I still don’t like the rain . . . sorry about that. But I’m trying not to hate it, because it’s still one of the seasons here on earth that keeps the world weather in balance. Whether we like it or not, it will come. We just have to learn how to survive especially if it became a storm. This is something that we can’t resist of or run away from. But keep in mind that even when it comes, we can always find a safe shelter to cover ourselves with.
In our life, problems, trials, failures and all sorts of difficulties will definitely come. It’s inevitable. Some are like tiny droplets of water that we can still endure, but most are bursting with strong wind. Be careful not to be drowned, not to waver. Find the safest cover. God is our refuge and with his mighty presence, we are certainly sheltered. Aside from protection he will also give us the power to conquer the heavy rain and strong wind. He will make us rise and soar high like an eagle and even fly above the rain, above the storm. What we can do? Call upon him and be consumed with his presence.
Isaiah 40:28-31
New International Version (NIV)
28 Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
29 He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
Or
Isaiah 40:28-31
New Living Translation (NLT)
28 Have you never heard?
Have you never understood?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of all the earth.
He never grows weak or weary.
No one can measure the depths of his understanding.
29 He gives power to the weak
and strength to the powerless.
30 Even youths will become weak and tired,
and young men will fall in exhaustion.
31 But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.
They will soar high on wings like eagles.
They will run and not grow weary.
They will walk and not faint.
Let me leave you with this popular nursery rhyme about “rain”. Based from version by John Aubrey:
Rain, rain, go away
Come again another day
Little children want to play
No comments:
Post a Comment